Securing Your Revenue Sources
SSDI is a vital source of income for people with disabilities. However, because of the backlog of SSDI cases pending with the Social Security Administration (SSA), it can take many months, or even years to finally receive your award.
During that time, you will need to secure other sources of revenue. Even once you have your award, you will need to generate more cash flow, if possible, to secure your financial future.
Potential sources that can help generate cash could include:
- Your SSDI income - as well as the other financial benefits that come with SSDI
- Recovering unclaimed property - you could have untapped sources of property or money that you do not know about
- Your spouse's income - the income and benefits can be a tremendous resource for someone on SSDI, but there are trade-offs
- Selling assets - beware that the amount generated may not be near the value of the asset, so think carefully
- Financial assistance programs - sometimes extra help is needed and you should know where to find it