Negotiating Lower Healthcare Costs
You can try lowering your healthcare costs by negotiating with your various providers. It may seem impossible, but it can work.
The key is to be and respond like a savvy consumer. Here are a few helpful hints on how to be a great consumer and healthcare negotiator:
- Do your homework - As with anything else, the successful haggler takes the time to research the products or services involved. Knowing how much you have to pay going in will give you more knowledge when asking for a better price.
- Smile - Always remember the saying about catching more flies with honey than vinegar. Likewise, you will get more results if you are pleasant while negotiating.
- Don't be afraid - Car shopping often is uncomfortable and unpleasant because of the haggling involved. You won't get very far, though, if you don't get over your fear to make a deal. The meek may inherit the earth, but they won't have lower healthcare costs.
- Explore alternatives - Whether or not you lower your healthcare costs, find out if free financing or extended payment options are available. The only thing sweeter than paying nothing for something is not having to pay for it right away.
- Shop around - You don't have to settle on one hospital, for example. Explore other options in your area and find out which one works best for you.
Healthcare Cost Comparisons
Managing your healthcare costs would be much easier if you could compare costs from different providers in a simple and straightforward manner.
Some state health departments provide healthcare cost comparison information on their websites, where you can compare the fees charged by multiple providers for a procedure or test. Whether you are looking for a specific type of test or choosing between two hospitals where your doctor practices, getting a cost comparison is a good idea.
Click on the map below to reach your state's health department website to determine if your state offers healthcare cost comparison information.