Lupus Awareness Month - It's Easy As 1,2,3
Guest Blog by Lupus Foundation of America-North Carolina Chapter
This Lupus Awareness Month, take action in the fight to solve the cruel mystery of lupus. You can join the Lupus Foundation of America in supporting those living with the disease with three easy steps:
- Educate yourself with these facts about lupus.
- Lupus is a complex disease that is hard to define. It strikes without warning, affects each person differently, and has no known causes or cure.
- Lupus symptoms can be severe and highly unpredictable and can damage any organ or tissue, from the skin or joints to the heart or kidneys.
- Despite the widespread prevalence of lupus, research on the disease has remained underfunded, relative to its scope and devastation.
- Only one drug has ever been developed specifically to treat lupus and approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- On Friday, May 17, Put on Purple™ raises awareness and funds to show your support for people affected by lupus. Learn more by visiting LupuNC.org and tag the Lupus Foundation of America, North Carolina Chapter in your Put on Purple Day photos on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Be sure to use the hashtag #POPNC.
- Take the KNOW LUPUS challenge at lupus.org/know and challenge your friends so that together we can create a future without lupus.
Editor’s note: Individuals with lupus may be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance if the severity of the condition prevents them from working for 12 months or longer. Learn more at TrueHelp.com.